Do you have an empty vertical place in your home and don’t know what to do with it. Designer, Antonio Bellusci shows us how to create a convertible DIY tripod floor lamp, perfect for that empty space.
Materials & Tools
- Wood stock – 1 x 2’s – 2 feet long – 6 pieces
- Wood stock – 1 x 2’s – 3 feet long – 3 pieces
- Wood stock – 5 inches x 5 inches x 1 inch thick – 1 pieces
- Connector bolts – 9 sets
- Allen keys
- Lamp kit
- Lamp shade
- Jig saw
- Drill and drill bits
- Measuring tool / ruler
- Sand paper
- Optional – Stain and foam brush
- Draw a centre line along each length of the 1×2’s.
- Mark one hole at top end of all 2 foot pieces – ¾ inches down from top – to be used for connecting to top bracket.
- Mark along centre line every 2 inches from bottom of all 2 foot pieces – 7 marks / hole positions.
- Mark one hole at bottom end of all 3 foot pieces – 2 inches up from bottom – no purpose – just decorative detailing.
- Mark along centre line every 2 inches from top of all 3 foot pieces – 10 marks / hole positions.
- Drill holes for all marks to fit size of connector bolt.
- Cut off top corners of all 2 foot pieces (leave bottom square).
- Cut off top corners of all 3 foot pieces (leave bottom square).
- Sand all rough edges.
- Sandwich two 2 foot pieces on either side of a 3 foot piece (flip the 3 foot piece to have single hole end farthest away from single hole in two feet pieces) and secure three pieces together with 2 sets of connector bolts – spacing bolts a few holes apart.
- Repeat above step with remaining 2 and 3 foot pieces – making three leg assemblies.
- Place all leg assemblies on ground with openings of 2 foot pieces together in the centre – making a Y shape / figure.
- Trace on cardboard a Y shape connector to fit into each gap of 2 foot pieces – with equal spacing between Y arms.
- Cut out cardboard Y shape and trace onto 5 inch x 5 inch x 1 inch wood piece.
- Using jig saw, cut out Y shape.
- Sand all rough edges.
- Drill holes thru each Y arm and one hole in centre to fit lamp kit pole.
- Position each leg assembly on each arm of Y bracket.
- Secure leg assemblies to Y bracket with connector bolts.
- Follow instructions from lamp kit and assemble lamp socket, wire and harp.
- Secure lamp shade.
Option – before assembling, stain wood pieces
Approximate Cost $50
Join the conversation