1 hr 15 min
- 2 kg de-seeded mangos roughly chopped
- 8 seeds removed cardamom pods pods discarded
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. turmeric
- 1/3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 fresh red chili
- 500 mL white wine vinegar
- 400g granulated sugar
- 8cm piece finely grated ginger
- In a large pot bring sugar and vinegar to a boil, then reduce by a couple centimeters, and simmer.
- In a large skillet lightly toast cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant, then crush using a pestal and mortar.
- Add to the simmering pickling liquid along with mango, nigella seeds and 2 tsp salt.
- Then add in ginger, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce again to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes to an hour until the consistency is thick and syrupy.
- Add in chili and remove from heat.
- Divide liquid among sterilized jars and keep up to 6 months.
Join the conversation