Did you know that you can eat raw asparagus? You sure can, especially when it’s fresh and local. Mairlyn Smith shows us a great shaved asparagus salad!
Makes 4 cups (1 L)
One serving = 1 cup (250 mL)
– 1 lb (500 g) fresh local asparagus
– 1 small shallot, sliced very thinly
– 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers, rinsed, patted dry and minced
– Zest of 1 lemon
– 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold pressed canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
– 1 tsp (5 mL) liquid honey
1. Rinse asparagus and pat dry.
2. Leaving the woody ends on – hold that end and then using a potato peeler peel the asparagus starting at the end and working your way down to the tip.
3. Place shaved pieces in a large bowl.
4. Add shallots, capers, lemon zest and toss.
5. Dressing: in a small bowl whisk together oil, lemon juice and honey.
6. Pour over salad and toss. Serve.
Nutrient breakdown per 1 cup (250 mL) serving = 97 calories, 7 g total fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 3 mg sodium, 7.6 g carbs, 2.8 g fibre, 3.9 g sugars, 3 g protein.
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith http://www.mairlynsmith.com/
Join the conversation