This family-friendly bean salad is a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea. Get your kids involved washing veggies and spinning the parsley dry.
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) sun-dried tomatoes in oil
One-19 fl oz (540 mL) can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes cut in half
1 large orange pepper, diced
½ cup (125 mL) finely sliced green onions or chives
½ cup (125 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
Cracked black pepper to taste
1. Mince garlic and set aside.
2. Whisk together the salad dressing: the apple cider vinegar and oil together in a small bowl. Add garlic.
3. Place sun-dried tomatoes on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Chop finely. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl toss together the salad ingredients: the beans, celery, grape tomatoes, orange pepper, green onions or chives, and parsley. Add sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Pour dressing over top and toss well. Serve.
Makes 5 cups (1.25 L)
One serving = 1 cup (250 mL)
One serving contains: 179 calories, 4.9 g total fat, 0.6 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 245 mg sodium, 27.1 g carbs, 8 g fibre, 2.5 g sugar, 9 g protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving: 1 ½ carbohydrates, 1 meat and alternative, ½ fat
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith, www.mairlynsmith.com
Join the conversation