This berry crisp is perfect to make all year round: with fresh fruit in the summer, and frozen fruit in the winter.
Mixed berry crisp with frozen berries
1 ½ cup (375 mL) large flake rolled oats
¼ cup (60 mL) whole-wheat flour
¼ cup (60 mL) wheat germ
½ cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon
½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
6 cups (1.5 L) mixed frozen berries
1 cup (250 mL) frozen cranberries
1 tbsp (15 mL) tapioca
¼ cup (60 mL) liquid honey
1. Make sure the rack is in the middle of your oven. Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Line an 8-inch square (2-L) baking pan, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl stir together the oats, flour, wheat germ, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula mix in the canola oil until well combined. The mixture should look slightly wet and crumbly.
3. Place the berries into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the tapioca and the then drizzle with the honey.
4. Pour topping over the berries. Press down lightly.
5. Bake for 55- 65 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm or cold. Will keep up to 2 days covered in the fridge.
Makes – 5 cups (1.25 L)
Serves – 8 – 2/3 cup (150 mL) servings
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith, www.mairlynsmith.com
Join the conversation