These delicious, guilt-free chocolate muffins turn into scrumptious cupcakes when you top them with this easy frosting.
Super-awesome chocolate muffins
Prep 15 min | Total 40 min, Plus 35 min standing time
1 3/4 cups large-flake oats
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup ground flax meal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot water
100-g pkg good-quality dark chocolate (70 to 85%), very finely chopped
1. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone cupcake liners, then lightly spray with oil.
2. Pour oats into a food processor. Whirl until very finely ground, about 2 min. Add cocoa, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whirl until combined, about 1 min.
3. Whisk egg whites with applesauce, yogurt, agave syrup and vanilla in a large bowl until combined. Add to food processor along with hot water. Whirl until combined, about 1 min. Scrape back into bowl. Batter will be runny. Let batter stand until thickened to the consistency of oatmeal, about 20 min.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Stir chopped dark chocolate into thickened batter. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake in centre of oven until muffins have risen and a skewer inserted in centre of muffins comes out slightly sticky but not wet, 25 to 27 min. Let muffins cool in pan for 15 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 muffins | Per muffin 168 calories, 6 g protein, 25 g carbs, 6 g fat, 4 g fibre, 267 mg sodium. Good source of iron.
Prep Tip: Muffins will stick to paper liners; use silicone liners for easy removal. Or spray muffin cups with oil if not using liners.
Vanilla marshmallow frosting
Prep 10 min | Total 10 min
2/3 cup agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp finely grated dark chocolate (70 to 85%)
1. Combine agave syrup with 2 tbsp water and vanilla in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high in the bowl of a stand mixer, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 1 min. Slowly pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the bowl, beating until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 more min. Frosting should hold its airy texture. Spread or pipe frosting on Super-Awesome Chocolate Muffins. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Serves 12 | Per serving 74 calories, 1 g protein, 16 g carbs, 1 g fat, 9 mg sodium.
Courtesy Claire Tansey, www.chatelaine.com
Join the conversation