If you’re looking to spoil someone special in your life, try Randy Feltis’ breakfast with eggs poached in maple syrup!
Maple syrup-poached eggs with bacon & cheese stuffed French toast
Ingredients for bacon & cheese stuffed French toast:
- 4 slices good sourdough bread (about 1 1/4th inch thick)
- 8 bacon slices, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1 cup cheese curds
- cinnamon for dusting French toast
- butter for cooking French toast
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 8 eggs
- 1 bag spinach
Ingredients for custard:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half & half cream (could use whole milk or 2% milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Once you have the sour dough bread sliced, you will want to cut into the bottom of each slice and gently slice to almost the end of the top, and sides, to create the pocket to stuff each slice.
- Add the cooled cooked bacon and curds together in a bowl. Divide evenly among the four slices of bread and begin to gently stuff each one.
- Then gently press each stuffed bread together to prevent the inside ingredients from escaping.
- Prepare the custard by adding the eggs, half & half and vanilla together and whisk gently until combined.
- Use a large griddle to cook all of the French toast at the same time. Heat griddle on medium. Then dip each stuffed bread into the custard mixture and add to the heated griddle. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Let cook over medium for about 5 minutes per side!
- In a large fry pan sauté spinach with a touch of butter and salt and pepper. Then make a small nest on top of French toast.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat syrup to a small simmer, add eggs and poach to soft about 1-2 minutes.
- Then plate on top of grilled toasts and garnish with extra syrup.
Makes 4 Slices.
Pomegranate, apple & black pepper salad
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 honey crisp apple
- 6 leaves basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper and salt
- Cut pomegranate into 2 down the middle. Using a heavy wooden spoon spank the pomegranate over a large bowl, this will allow the seeds to magically fall out.
- Dice up apple and slice basil add to bowl.
- Mix in balsamic, olive oil and season with black pepper and salt.
Courtesy Randy Feltis, @oscarsbarrie
Join the conversation