Take a look at this fail-proof recipe for French crêpes–it is easy to make and there are many variations you can choose to put your own personal touch.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat an 8-in. non-stick frying pan over medium-high.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk, flour, butter, sugar and vanilla until no lumps remain.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter into the centre of the hot pan. Lift pan from burner.
- Quickly tilt to very thinly cover bottom.
- Return pan to burner and cook until top is set and edges begin to turn golden, about 30 sec. Loosen with a spatula and flip. Continue cooking 30 sec more.
- Transfer crepe to a plate. Cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Serves 6 crepes
Per crepe: 94 calories, 4 g protein, 10 g carbs, 4 g fat, 46 mg sodium
Tip: Crepes keep well in a warm (low-temp) oven, covered, until ready to serve. Or cool and layer with wax paper and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Three variations to play with the flavour:
Stir 2 tsp lemon zest into batter. Continue with recipe. Dust crepes with icing sugar. Serve with a lemon wedge or a dollop of marmalade.
Reduce flour to 1/3 cup. Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder. Replace vanilla with 1 tsp chocolate liqueur and continue with recipe.
Omit butter, sugar and vanilla. Add 2 tbsp grated parmesan, 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tsp finely chopped fresh basil. Season with pepper. Continue with recipe.
Scramble 2 eggs. Toss in 1/4 cup each black beans and salsa when the eggs are nearly done. Place mixture on bottom third of 2 Homemade Crepes. Roll up and top with sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
Frozen Dessert Crepes
Spoon 1/2 cup ice cream on lower right quarter of a Lemon Crepe. Fold left edge over ice cream, then fold into a triangle. Freeze until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Slice in half and serve with chocolate sauce or raspberry coulis.
Smoked Salmon Crepe Bites
Spread a Savoury Crepe with 2 tbsp softened cream cheese. Lay a single layer of smoked salmon across the bottom two-thirds of crepe. Season with pepper. Lay 6 chives across the salmon. Starting at bottom edge, roll up into a tight log. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Trim edges off crepe, then slice into 5 portions. Serve cut-side down, and top each piece with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped chives
Courtesy Claire Tansey
Photo courtesy Roberto Caruso
Join the conversation