Singer-songwriter Jully Black prepares a delicious quinoa dish that’s healthy for the heart, and is jam-packed with bold, international flavours.
Yummy Jamaican and Mexican quinoa
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (wash before cooking)
- 2 cups no salt added vegetable or chicken broth*
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can (12 oz) no salt added corn kernels
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, rinsed & drained twice to reduce salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup shredded low-fat cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stir while you cook for 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa, cook while stirring until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Pour broth into the pan and bring to a boil.
- Season with cumin, curry powder and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir the quinoa occasionally as it cooks.
- Stir corn and black beans into the skillet. Continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Stir in cilantro, and serve!
*Be sure to use gluten-free vegetable or chicken broth if you want to make this recipe gluten-free!
Courtesy Jully Black
Join the conversation