Janet and Greta Podleski share a colourful corn and black bean salad with mango and avocado.
Corn, black bean and mango fandango
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp each ground cumin and chili powder (see tip)
- 1 cup diced avocado (see tip)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Serve immediately or chill before serving. (We prefer this salad at room temperature.) As with most dishes containing avocado, this dish tastes best when eaten the day it’s made.
Recipe Tip: For added “kick,” try chipotle chili powder—it’s sold beside the regular chili powder in the spice aisle. Avocado turns brown quickly, so peel, slice and add it to the salad just before serving.
Makes 4 meal-sized servings
Per serving: 236 calories, 10 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat), 7 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 10.4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 385 mg sodium
Courtesy Janet and Greta Podleski
Join the conversation