This mouthwatering bistro-style dinner is easy to throw together for a lunch or weeknight dinner!
Baked ham and Swiss with mushroom sauce
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 15 mushrooms
- 4 green onions
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 large croissants
- 4 slices (1/4” thick) Black Forest ham (160 g or 6 oz)
- 4 slices deli low-fat Swiss cheese (85 g or 3 oz)
- 1/2 small melon, honeydew or cantaloupe
- 4 nectarines or 12 apricots
- 1 small bunch green grapes
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Heat butter or margarine in a non-stick stove-top pot or pan at medium high.
Dice onion and chop mushrooms, adding to pan as you cut. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in flour and gradually add milk. Return to heat, stirring, until mixture begins to thicken. Add spices, stir and remove from heat.
Slice croissants in half lengthwise. Place bottom halves on a cookie sheet. Layer each bottom half in this order: 1 slice ham, 1/4 of the mushroom sauce and one slice of cheese. Cover with the top of the croissant. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Meanwhile, cut melon and nectarines into slices. Rinse grapes and arrange on the serving plates. Place the croissant alongside.
Courtesy Sandi Richard
Join the conversation