Eating greens can be colorful, too! This bright, crunchy salad will excite your eyes as much as your taste buds, and is perfect for a potluck or a big backyard family meal. Because of the heartiness of the vegetables in this salad, which don’t wilt when dressed, it can be made in advance and refrigerated, or kept as leftovers for the next day.
Shredded rainbow salad with lemony avocado dressing
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 5 mins
Serves 4-6 | Gluten-Free
- 1/2 small red cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 3–4 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup (150 g) shelled frozen edamame
- 3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
For the Lemony Avocado Dressing:
- 1 small avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Shred or grate all the vegetables either by hand or using a food processor fitted with the grating blade.
2. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the edamame in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
3. Combine all the shredded vegetables in a large bowl along with the edamame and 2 tablespoons hemp hearts.
4. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
5. Add the lemony avocado dressing to the vegetables and toss well. Store any leftover dressing in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.
6. Garnish with the last tablespoon of hemp seeds. Serve at room temperature.
Calories (per serving) 174
Protein 7.2 g
Total fat 10.1 g
Saturated fat 1.7 g
Carbohydrates 16.1 g
Dietary fiber 6.4 g
Sugars 3.4 g
Vitamins A, B6, C
Recipe from Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Vegetables at Every Meal, Every Day © Jessica Nadel, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
Join the conversation