This Indonesian twist on fried rice is jam-packed with delicious flavours, and you can easily add meat to it or make a vegetarian version!
This recipe requires cold rice…so make extra one night and refrigerate the balance, or cook your rice the night before!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and refrigerated white rice (jasmine, basmati, or whatever you have on hand)
- 2 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1-2 shallots
- 4 green onion (white and green parts)
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced (from a jar or fresh)
- 3 small red Thai chilies
- 1 small carrot (or half a large)
- 2 cups slivered cabbage
- 2 tsp sesame or coconut oil
- 1 egg (I like to whip mine with a little milk to create a whiter colour)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp curry powder or paste
- 3 Tbsp Kepac Manis (sweet Indonesian soy sauce)
- Optional: Add cooked shrimp, leftover cooked chicken or pork
Combine rice and water in a microwave safe pot. Cook at high 8 minutes, then medium 8 minutes. Cool and refrigerate (or use your rice cooker).
When preparing dinner:
Heat oil in a large non-stick wok or fry pan at medium heat.
Finely chop shallot and green onion adding to pan as you cut. Add garlic.
Make a slice down one side of each chili, then remove the seeds by scraping them out with a spoon. Discard seeds, finely slice and add to pan. (Wash your hands thoroughly and be careful not to touch your eyes!)
Julienne or finely chop carrot and add to pan.
Finely slice cabbage into thin strips. Rinse in basket of salad spinner, spin dry and add to pan. Sauté for approx 1 minute. Transfer all veggies to a bowl.
Heat oil in the same uncleaned pan at medium high. Beat an egg and pour into hot pan. Let it firm up, then remove from pan and set aside with veggies.
Place cold cooked rice into the same uncleaned pan and give it a stir to break it all up. Return all the veggies and egg back into the rice pan. Sprinkle with spice and drizzle with Kepac Manis.
Stir well. Let flavors combine tossing the rice from time to time, for about 15 minutes.
Join the conversation