If you have a blank wall in a room and are in need of some inspiration, you’ve come to the right place! Samantha Pynn stopped by and shared with us two creative and versatile ways that you can turn a blank wall into a beautiful display. Check out her tips on how to create your own salon-style wall or a picture rail to showcase your favourite artwork.
Salon-style works best when you have a large wall to fill with multiple smaller pieces of artwork. Here are Samantha’s tips on working with a larger space:
- Start with the biggest piece of art and surround it with smaller pieces. Hanging the largest piece slightly off-center will help make your display look effortless.
- Vary in different styles and colours of frames throughout your pieces.
- Add some texture with a 3-D piece.
- Be a little unexpected: try adding a spark of colour or something with sentiment such as a piece of your child’s artwork.
- Use craft paper as a template to avoid making unnecessary holes in your wall. Make sure to also account for how high or low the wire is on your pieces before hammering into your wall.
- Hang pieces 1-3 inches apart so that all of the art together looks like one cohesive piece.
Using a picture rail is a great way to constantly change up your artwork with little effort. Here are some tips to make your railing look its best:
- Keep it current: this is your opportunity to showcase your child’s latest drawing or your most recent family portrait.
- Leave a good space between your rail and any furniture to ensure no one will accidentally bump into the railing and knock off your artwork.
- Match the sizes of your art to the sizes of your furniture to keep your display balanced.
- Try colours that are out of the ordinary and don’t blend in with your furniture.
For more design advice from Samantha, watch the video below:
Join the conversation