Picket size, treads, safety — There are many design elements that come into play when customizing a staircase. Interior designer Kimberley Seldon highlights some things to consider.
- Look for a runner that will wear well. A tight weave will make traffic less noticeable.
- Consider how easy it is to clean, especially if you have children or pets.
- Have a small staircase? Wider runners help make the staircase feel bigger and more elegant.
- Larger pickets can help give your stairwell a more sophisticated appearance.
- Check out your options. There are plenty of shapes and sizes when it comes to pickets, so look for one that suits your house.
- Consider both wood or iron pickets depending on the look.
Risers and treads:
- Don’t neglect your treads. You can choose round or square.
- You can also have fun by experimenting with colours and contrast.
Get the contemporary look:
- Open treads can give a modern look to a staircase. Just remember the noise transfer that comes with them and the safety factor if you have small children or pets.
- Adding lights along the treads make the stairs look contemporary while also making things safer.
- Stone treads can be a beautiful alternative to wood and work well with glass railings.
Join the conversation