Want to have some fun with the icing on top of your cupcake? How about a colourful rainbow swirl to top the design of your cupcake. Designer, Leigh-Ann Allaire Perrault shows us how to pipe a simple rainbow cupcake swirl that the children will love!
This can be started with any cupcake icing recipe or try Leigh-Ann’s vegan cupcake recipe.
Rainbow Icing Instructions
- Separate the icing into 6 small bowls.
- Add food colouring to each to make the colours of the rainbow (red, blue, yellow, orange (red+yellow), green (yellow+blue), and purple (blue+red).
- Place the contents of each bowl into a separate piping bag and snip the ends.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and pipe a line of each colour right beside each other, in the order of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple). Leave at least 2” of plastic wrap at each end of the piped lines.
- Carefully roll the icing into a tube by lifting each parallel end of the plastic wrap.
- Twist each end of the plastic wrap, and snip one end right where the icing begins.
- Place the rainbow tube into a fresh piping bag, cut side down, and pipe out colourful rainbow swirls.
Join the conversation