We have officially kick off the 2019 Cityline Weight Loss Challenge with Dr. Joey Shulman. While we’ve already chose the challengers to participate on air, we have a challenge with our online community as well! Dr. Joey has all the recipes, meal plans, tips and printable documents you need to make 2019 your best year yet!
For all printable resources please scroll to the bottom of this article: 9 Steps To Start The 2019 Weight Loss Challenge
Dr. Joey’s Cityline Weight Loss 2018 program summary
Below you will find the 10 steps to successfully follow my program. Keep in mind, my program is based on hormonal balance and quality calories. I do not want to deprive you or cut out essential food groups. Rather – I want to teach you a methodology of eating where you lose your weight, feel your best and keep your weight off for life!
Prior to reviewing the 10 summary steps, here are a few basic points that will help you stay on track along the way:
- Keep it simple – you do not have to become a gourmet chef or engage in food prep for 2 hours a day. In the beginning of the program– I recommend repetitious eating in order to keep it simple. In other words – be a creature of habit. If eating the same breakfast on a daily basis is easier for you – do it! Once you have followed the program for 1-2 weeks and are in the swing of things, feel free to add in more variety by referring to the additional recipes I will be posting on Facebook (join our Weight Loss Challenge group here) and on www.cityline.tv
- Start to food journal daily on paper or on your phone – food journaling will help keep you stay mindful and accountable. You can print off the paper food journal provided or download my food app called Food Trakker and journal on your phone (iphone compatible only).
- Let’s be friends – join our Facebook group and live chats. This is our opportunity to connect! Keep checking into cityline.tv for all my new posts, recipes and meal plans.
- Remember why you started! If you happen to fall off the health wagon one night or encounter a week where you do not lose – do not panic! My program does not promote perfection. Weight loss does not always happen in a straight line. Just keep on going and you will find the pounds and inches start to melt away!
10 Steps To Success
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out
1. Enjoy 1-grain option per day maximum. Your grain option can be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch or afternoon snack. You are not to eat a grain at dinnertime. Dinnertime is to be grain free.
Options for grain include:
- 2 slices of whole grain or sprouted grain bread
- 1 whole grain wrap
- ½ cup cooked brown rice/ pasta/quinoa
- 7-10 whole grain crackers
- 1 healthy bar (i.e. kashi bar, simply bar, bounce bar, Genuine Health fermented protein bar)
- ½ cup of slow cooked oatmeal (i.e. a great wintery breakfast meal)
- ½ cup of whole grain cereal (aim for less than 6-8 grams of sugar per serving)
2. Enjoy 2 fruits per day. A fruit serving size is:
- 1 banana
- ½ cup of any type of berry (raspberry, blueberry, strawberry) or melon (honeydew, watermelon, cantaloupe)
- 1 apple, pear, plum or grapefruit
- 1 orange or 3 Clementine’s
- ½ cup of grapes or mangos
3. All vegetables are free and can be eaten at any time of day in limitless quantities with the exception of white potatoes, parsnips, squash and corn. Two small sweet potatoes or two selections of squash (1/2 cup – any type) are allowed per week and can be eaten at dinnertime if desired (instead of grain).
4. Enjoy 3-4 fats per day – fats are very important for weight loss and overall health and will actually help to boost your metabolism. A fat option can be eaten at each meal and snack. Serving sizes include:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, flaxseed oil, avocado oil, coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of natural nut butter – almond, cashew or peanut
- ¼ avocado
- 2 tbsp. seeds – sunflower, sesame, pumpkin
- 10-15 almonds
- 6 -8 full walnuts
- 40 pistachios
- ½ handful of peanuts
5. Eat a protein at each and every meal. For women – 3-5 ounces of protein per meal is recommended, for men 4-6 ounces is recommended. 3 ounces of protein is = palm of your hand without fingers or a thumb. Protein options include:
- Chicken – ground, sliced, chicken breast
- Fish – tuna, salmon, tilapia, halibut, sole, shrimp
- Turkey – ground or sliced (nitrate free slices)
- Red meat (1x per week maximum)
- Greek yogurt or regular plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
- Protein powder (sprouted grain protein is best)
- Cottage cheese
- Hemp hearts (2 tbsp)
6. Eat 3 meals and 1-2 snacks per day – Morning snack is optional; afternoon snack (3-4pm) is mandatory. Try to eat dinner no later than 7pm. After dinner stick to free foods which are herbal teas, vegetables (carrots, celery, radishes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower), vegetable soup and/or water. To optimize your weight loss, try to eat your dinner as early as possible
7. Drink 8 glasses of water per day. Herbal teas count as water, coffee does not. It is also recommended to drink 1 cup minimum of green tea per day. Green tea contains an ingredient called EGCG which helps to boost your metabolism. Please note: 1-2 coffees per day is permitted. Do not put sweetener or cream in your coffee. If needed, please opt for sugar cane, brown sugar, coconut sugar and/or low fat milk. Better yet, drop the sugar and replace with cinnamon.
8. Enjoy 2 treats per week if needed (feel free to skip to optimize weight loss results).
- 2 alcohol servings (4 oz.) per week (not in first 30 days)
- 2 pieces of dark chocolate (70%)
- 2 extra grain
- 2 extra fruit
9. Eliminate all added white sugar. I will be posting resources on natural sugar substitutions such as fruit, coconut sugar (in coffee) and small amounts of honey. If sugar cravings are an issue – do not worry, it is very common and will soon subside once on the program.
10. Enjoy a maximum of 1 ounce of cheese per day (size of your thumb). Cheese is to be used as an “add on” – not as a main ingredient (i.e. on omelet, on top of salad, 1 babybel). Options such as goat’s cheese or a small amount of low fat mozzarella are recommended.
An Example Of Your Perfect Weight Loss Day
- 1 serving of fruit (1/2 carton of blueberries or 1 banana or 1 sliced apple)
- 1 protein option (i.e. 1 scoop of protein powder, ½ cup cottage cheese or yogurt or 2 eggs)
- Sprinkle your fat (i.e. 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseeds or 10 almonds or 6 full walnuts)
Snack (10am) – optional
- Vegetables and hummus (chickpea dip)
- 8-10 nuts (walnuts or almonds)
- 100 gram yogurt
- 1 ounce of cheese and sliced apples
- 1 Tbsp of natural nut butter and sliced apples
- 1 bar – Simply, Kashi or Fibre 1 bar
- 1 serving of grain (2 slice of whole wheat or sprouted grain bread or 1 small wrap)
- 1 selection of protein (3-5 ounces of tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, egg)
- 1 fruit and/or vegetable servings
See above for suggestions
Dinner (6—7 pm)
- 1 protein serving (3-5 ounces)
- 2 servings of vegetables (all vegetables allowed with the exception of white potatoes, parsnips and corn).
- Sprinkle your fat (i.e. 1-2 tsp. of olive oil)
- 2 liters of water per day + 2 green teas
- No eating after 7pm with the exception of free foods which include all vegetables, 2 skinnychews, vegetable broth, chicken broth, water and herbal teas.
For more meal ideas, please refer to meal plan #1 posted in start up package.
Summary Of Serving Sizes
Protein Options—3-5 Ounces Per Meal
- 4 ounces of chicken or fish= 28 grams of protein
- 5 ounces (1 can) of tuna = 40 grams of protein
- 4 ounces of lean beef = 28 grams of protein – 1x week maximum!
- 2 large eggs = 14 grams of protein
- ½ cup of cottage cheese = 15 grams of protein
- 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt = 11-12 grams of protein
- 1 scoop of protein powder = approximately 15 grams of protein
- 1/2 cup of tofu = 20 grams of protein
Fat Options—3-4 Per Day
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tbsp. of flaxseed oil or 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp. of salad dressing (low fat dairy or oil based)
- 1 tbsp. of low fat mayonnaise
- ¼ of an avocado
- 2 tbsp. of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of natural nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew)
- 10-15 almonds or cashews
- 6-8 walnuts
- 6-7 olives
Vegetable options – FREE! (with the exception of white potatoes, parsnips and corn)
Fruit Options—2 Per Day
- 1 Apple, pear, plum, peach or grapefruit
- 1 banana
- Orange or 3 tangerines
- Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries (1/2 cup)
- ½ cup of watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew
- 1 pomegranate
Grain options – 1 Per Day
- 2 pieces of whole grain or sprouted grain bread
- ½ cup of brown rice or quinoa (cooked)
- 1 wrap (i.e. whole wheat or whole grain)
- 3 pieces of Ryvita crackers
- ½ cup of cooked whole grain or spelt pasta – please cook el dente (undercook by 1-2 minutes for a firmer pasta. This lowers the glycemic index of the pasta).
- ½ cup of cooked oatmeal
Join the conversation