I received a question on the Cityline Weight Loss Facebook group asking me if losing weight in your 40’s was much harder and why. The truth? Weight loss as you get older may be a titch harder — but there are a few ‘game changing’ strategies that can help you lose weight at any age—40 and beyond. After all my years in the business, here are a few tips that can boost your metabolism any age, any stage.
1. Hydrate—Like, really hydrate. It’s the 8×8 rule folks—I need you to drink 8 glasses of water daily.
2. Consider intermittent fasting. Yikes! Fasting? I can’t fast is what you might be thinking. I am not asking you to fast completely. I am asking you to give your body a minimum of 12-13 hours where it does not eat (i.e. 6pm – 7am). There is great research on intermittent fasting promoting anti-aging hormones, boosting metabolism and promoting good old fashion belly fat loss.
3. Stop daily drinking. You eat perfectly all day long, but have 1-2 glasses of red wine per night? Sorry Charlie, daily drinking after the age of 40 does not work any longer. Why? It is sugar at the wrong time of day. If you do enjoy a great glass of wine, try to stick to 2 drinks (maximum 4) per week.
4. Say good-bye to artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners have been shown to boost hunger and promote fat storage.
5. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. As the day goes on, lighten up (most of us do the opposite). I want you to go to sleep being really excited for your next meal in the morning (not starving—but a little bit on the empty side). Going to bed with a full belly every night will not work for weight loss.
And of course—you must move! Walk, jog, run, cycle, do yoga, stretch, pilates, you name it, but make sure you move your body!
I have people in there 80’s (and even a gentleman in his 90’s) come to our clinics to lose weight and feel better. So no excuses—you deserve to feel great!
Join the conversation