How much alcohol is too much?
- Too much alcohol can get in the way of weight loss and optimal health.
- Alcohol contains 125-150 calories per 5 ounce glass. In fact, drinking one glass of wine per day can add up to an extra 13 lb of fat per year!
- Alcohol also causes people to lose their inhibitions and willpower causing them to eat more.
- So how much do I recommend? 2-4 glasses maximum per week.
How much added sugar is too much?
- It is estimated that 1 out of every 5 calories Canadians consume is from added sugar—that is over 26 teaspoons per day! Added sugars can fluctuate energy and blood sugar levels, lower immune system response and contribute to excess weight gain and belly fat storage.
- It is recommended that added white sugar be less than 5% of your total caloric intake per day (less than 6 teaspoons per day or 25 grams per day). Sugar that occurs naturally in fruit does not count in the 25 grams.
- 2 tbsp of BBQ sauce = 14 grams of sugar
- Standard sports drink = 32 grams of sugar
- Flavored coffee = can be up to 100 grams of sugar!
- Iced tea = 33 grams of sugar
- Vitamin water = 32 grams of sugar
- Breakfast cereal—anywhere from 8 – 30 g per serving
How many grains to eat per day?
- Whole grains offer benefits that include fiber, B vitamin, magnesium and iron.
- But with dietary approaches like paleo and keto gaining more and more momentum, people are confused about how many grains to eat per day.
- The amount of grain to consume per day depends on activity level and age.
- On average – I recommend 1-2 grains maximum per day (and not in the evening)
How much coffee per day?
- Caffeine found in coffee affects people in different ways
- A home brewed coffee contains 50mg of caffeine whereas a 16 ounce coffee contains 300 mg of caffeine.
- Some sources suggest that 400mg of caffeine per day is within safe limits, but the feeling you get from coffee is individual.
- Symptoms from too much coffee include jitteriness, anxiety, heart palpitations.
- Recent research also suggests there are positives for drinking coffee which include weight loss, type II diabetes, depression and may even help you live longer!
Join the conversation