- Wool or cotton string or twine – your choice.
- A small book or piece of wood or cardboard.
- Begin by winding your string/ wool around your book. I did 100 wraps around the book. NB the length of your tassel with be the same length of the book.
- Cut a shorter piece of your matching string – about 8” long. Slide the string behind the wrapped yarn. Pull the string to the top of the book. Now tie two tight knots.
- Slide the wrapped string off the book.
- Using scissors, cut through the bottom of the loop. You should now begin to see the shape of the tassel.
- Cut a piece of your matching yarn or string that is 30” long or so.
- Using your fingers, pinch near the top of the string (about ½ down). It will look a bit like a ghost.
- Create a loop with your 30” length of string (see video). Now wrap the string around your tassel. This will create the ball or head part of your tassel.
- To knot the string, slip it back into the loop and pull both ends. Trim excess.
- Tassel complete. Feel free to trim the bottom ends if they are not even.
Join the conversation