Whether you’re trying to tame your frizz or define your curls, summer weather brings unwanted humidity. Bahar Niramwalla shares 4 steps to care for your curly hair to get the best, frizz-free results!
Step 1: In-shower care
It’s important to pay attention to your scalp in the shower. Use a scalp brush that is gentle while in the shower which can help remove debris, oil and dirt. It’s also important to have a solid hair treatment that best suits your hair type! As curly hair tends to be drier than our straight-haired friends, a good tip to reverse that is to apply conditioner to your roots before you apply conditioner! Using deep moisture shampoos such as Aveda Nutriplenish Shampoo Deep Moisture can help minimize frizz.
Step 2: Styling
Preparing to style:
If you’re choosing to style your hair, start with damp-wet hair as you want moisture in your curls. Use a spray bottle to re-wet your dry areas if some parts dried up! Always apply leave-in conditioners first such as sprays and mists; this will help detangle your hair.
- A mousse such as Caviar’s multiplying volume styling mousse is great if you’re looking to add volume to your roots
- Adding creams will add moister and smooth our your curls
- Some form of gel is a great idea for a strong-hold
- You can shape your curls by coiling them with your fingers for a more controlled shape
TIP: Using a soft nylon bristle styling brush after applying stylers helps distribute the product
Step 3: Drying
To dry your hair use a t-shirt or microfibre towel to gently squeeze and scrunch the hair. Diffuse your hair on the lowest speed and heat setting as this will help prevent frizz. After you’ve dried your hair, you’ll want to add volume back and fluff your roots!
Step 4: Next wash day or styling
Don’t forget to give your fragile hair a break and wait at least a few days before the next wash. When you do wash your hair, use a co-wash or conditioner-wash product, which is a gentle alternative to shampoo! If you want to revive your curls the next day you can do the following:
- Re-spray down your curls instead of washing it again
- Take a small amount of product to touch up areas
- You can also use a curling iron to revive a few curls if needed
Join the conversation