Let’s face it, many of us aren’t ready for summer to end. This year especially, we’ve relied on good weather to see our family and friends. Check out these ways to extend the life of your outdoor space beyond the summer season:
Heat it Up
– add a chiminea for natural warmth (and to roast s’mores!)
– Take care of your metal outdoor fire pits or chimineas or they will rust (I will have a before photo). Steps: empty it, sand off rust, tape over areas that will touch direct flame, spray paint using high heat paint.
– another lower maintenance option invest in a patio heater, but start looking now, because, just like bikes and roller blades in the spring, these will sell out fast this year because we are all spending so much more time at home and outside. I even had a hard time finding one for this segment!
Decorate for fall
– Just like you would inside, swap summery decor for cozy blankets and pillows to snuggle up to. (I can swap out the summer cushions for fall ones with blankets.
– add fall florals that compliment your design style and add a happy hint of colour well into the fall
Let there be light
– Days are getting shorter but well-placed outdoor lighting means you can enjoy your outdoor space well into the night.
– Use string lights overhead and lanterns for a cozy feel. I like to use battery operated candles rather than the real thing, especially if the lanterns are on the ground or if you have young children (or you are a clumsy adult like me). I would bring those in each night rather than leave them out all the time.
– Summer time heat sometimes means we don’t want to be too active outside. Find activities that keep the whole family active. Amazon sent one game and I have horseshoes and some board games.
Scroll through the gallery below for a look at the products mentioned:
Join the conversation