Purchasing flavoured oils at the grocery store can be super expensive, but herbs aren’t! Making your own olive oil is like the gateway to real cooking! The process sounds fancy but is super simple.
You will need:
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Heating element
- Coffee Filter
- Jar/container/bowl for oil
- Chop up your basil leaves, do not worry about removing any stems. Add leaves into blender.
- Use a neutral and inexpensive oil like canola oil to blend with your ingredients. Make sure to have enough oil to help blend the basil leaves, the key is to infuse. Blend until smooth.
- Next heat up your oil. Pour from the blender into a pot. Putting the oil on heat will start to activate all it’s flavours.
- Heat up the oil for 2-5 minutes. Once it’s done, don’t worry about cool down time, strain right away using the coffee filter. Let the strainer sit and wait for it to finish draining.
- Put your oil into a portable container and use accordingly
This oil is great for dressing, marinades, sauces etc. You can freeze it as well! If you vacuum seal the oil and freeze, it can last years!
Join the conversation