Every curly-haired gal knows that our tresses require a little extra TLC to make them look their best. Here are 5 mistakes I see when it comes to curly hair, plus my expert solutions to those mistakes.
Mistake #1 washing too often or not enough
- Over-washing leads to dryness, under-washing leads to a buildup
- THE FIX: Wash once a week, or every third to fourth day if you exercise
- Keeps scalp and hair free of buildup and keeps hair soft and manageable.
Mistake #2 detangling curly hair when it’s dry
- Will create split ends which leads to breakage
- THE FIX: Detangle with conditioner and wet brush/wide tooth comb
- Conditioner provides slip which will help your brush or comb run through your hair more smoothly, preventing breakage and split ends
Mistake #3 using products on damp hair
- Can lead to frizz and zero definition – product only in certain sections
- THE FIX: Applying products on wet hair ensures hair is fully saturated with the products
- Results in defined curls and zero frizz
Mistake #4 not protecting your hair while sleeping
- Leads to tangling
- THE FIX: Sleep in a silk bonnet or on a silk pillowcase
- Prevents dryness, breakage, and split ends
- You can wrap your hair in a silk scarf or using silk scrunchies for extra protection
Mistake #5 not getting regular trims
- Can lead to breakage
- THE FIX: Be consistent with trimming your curls every 3-4 months
- Helps to retain length
- Make sure to get your hair trimmed by stylists who are knowledgeable about curly hair textures
All of our product suggestions are independently researched and sourced by Cityline. However, if you purchase something through cityline.tv, we may earn commission. Thanks for visiting us!
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation