Women supporting women, what could be better? How about women from diverse backgrounds who founded beauty brands right here in Canada? Every one of these companies is female-founded, BIPOC and Canadian.
Founder, Olga Onulov wanted to create a brand that celebrated and supported women and the communities in which they live, works, and play. Today, they are one of the top brow spots in Canada, have hosted pop-ups from here to Barcelona, have a complete with a full product line and the studio has opened its space up to multiple burgeoning local, female-founded businesses multiple times over.
What started as a business specializing in brows and beauty has grown into a community of empowered entrepreneurs.
- Newly launched Brow Glaze: gives that laminated brow look with firm hold!
- Also launched fragrance items: and let me tell you, I’ve met Olga and each time I ask her what scent she is wearing: she finally bottled it!
- Eyebrow Pencil‘s in four shades – it’s HARD for me to find the right dark shade without too much warmth in them
Torreh was created by founder and CEO Sahar Bayat after she spent years experimenting and trying to find the perfect product for her hair. After exhaustive and fruitless searches, she decided to take matters into her own hands. She began formulating her own products in her kitchen, and through trial after trial, she crafted the perfect natural hair care solution.
Torreh’s formulas are not tested on animals, are organic, free of dyes, parabens and synthetic fragrances AND are rich in vitamins and nutrients. The oil blends are great for all hair types.
- The star oil is her Magic Drop Oil, which is a non-greasy formula packed with organic oils
- Magic Tx treatment
- Magic Comb: 100% natural sandalwood that glides through the hair and helps to reduce static
Sḵwálwen (skwall-win) translates roughly to “heart” or “essence of being” in the Squamish language. Sḵwálwen unites ancestral traditions with modern beauty rituals. Leigh Joseph founded Sḵwálwen Botanicals in 2018. She is an ethnobotanist and researcher from the Squamish First Nation. Through multiple philanthropic partnerships, Sḵwálwen elevates Indigenous communities and shines a light on the strength and resilience of Indigenous peoples.
- Cranberry Rose facial serum
- Cranberry facial balm – It features antioxidant and vitamin C-rich cranberry and calming rose
- Tewin’xw Cleansing Clay is an exfoliant and mask in one, depending on how you use it
Curlshoppe is a proud Black woman-owned company whose focus is all things curly providing quality, affordable curly hair products and educating others on how to care for and love their curls. All products are produced in-house by the CurlShoppe team. Founded in 2016, owner Rowan McAnoy aimed to help solve a big problem: finding curly hair products in Canada. Most products available are either a) very expensive or b) not good for encouraging healthy curls. Instead of resorting to cross-border shopping for better options, CurlShoppe offers the Canadian market quality curl care at affordable prices
Join the conversation