- Preheat oven to 475F degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the bowl. Stir butter into flour mixture. Stir until the butter is broken up and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the milk and stir until just combined, do not over-mix. Pat dough on a floured surface until it’s 3/4 inch thick. Cut into biscuits using a cooking cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
For the sausage gravy
- In a large cast iron skillet or sauce pan add the sausage and cook over medium to medium-high heat until the sausage is cooked approx. 8-10 minutes. break up the meat into small chunks. Do not drain the grease that the sausage made while cooking.
- Sprinkle the flour over the top of the sausage and then stir well to combine. Let the flour and sausage cook for 1-2 minutes, stir often.
- Whisk the milk slowly into the sausage and flour mixture. Continue whisking until the gravy starts to simmer, about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring and let the gravy cook while at a low simmer for an additional 1-3 minutes, until it thickens.
- Serve the hot gravy over the biscuits and enjoy!
Join the conversation