For the fried tomatoes:
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium size cast iron skillet to 325F
- Place flour in shallow plate. In a second shallow dish add eggs and beat. In a third shallow dish
add cornmeal. Place a fork in each dish respectively.
- Cut bottoms and tops off tomatoes, with the remaining section of the tomato, slice into 3 evenly
thick slices then repeat with remaining tomatoes.
- Season each tomato with salt and pepper then place slices into flour and coat evenly. Tap off
excess flour and place into egg mixture. Once evenly coated, place egg washed tomatoes into
cornmeal. Repeat with all tomatoes slices and get ready to fry.
- Prepare a tray with ample paper towel on it for after deep frying.
- In small batches, fry tomato slices for 90 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Remove
and immediately place on paper towel lined tray. Immediately season with salt while still hot
For the tomato salsa:
- Preheat grill to high heat. Place lime halves flat side down on the grill grate and allow to
char, do not move them until they are charred, approximately 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes into quarters and add to clean bowl. Add thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper,
and the juice of one half of a grilled lime. Toss all the ingredients together then refrigerate.
Join the conversation