Chef Jose Matamoros is here to make us a seasonal mushroom omelette with raw salsa verde. This omelette is a great easy breakfast to get in all of your daily nutrients! Chef Jose Matamoros is from 1 Kitchen Restaurant at 1 Hotel Toronto and teaches us about their zero-waste sustainable kitchen.
Salsa Verde ingredients
- Prepare the mushrooms first (cooking instructions below)
- While the mushrooms cook, create the salsa verde
- Once both are complete, cook the omelette and fold the mushrooms into the omelette
Mushroom cooking instructions:
- Preheat pan to medium-high heat
- Break apart the mushrooms into bite-size pieces. It’s better to use your hands instead of a knife as it follows the natural fibers of the mushroom, retaining a more natural shape
- Add mushrooms to the pan and let them heat up without anything for three minutes
- Once they become fragrant, add a tablespoon of oil
- Toss the mushrooms to cook in oil, and cook for another three minutes
- Add a pinch of salt
Salsa verde cooking instructions:
- Chop all ingredients except the cilantro roughly
- Put the cilantro off to the side
- Add all chopped ingredients except the cilantro into the blender and blend until it’s a smooth consistency
- Add cilantro and pulse to incorporate
- Finish with salt if necessary
- Set up a medium size non-stick pan on medium-high heat on the stove.
- Crack open 3 whole eggs into a small bowl and mix them thoroughly with a fork.
- Add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan and pour the eggs in
- Season with salt and start scrambling the eggs with a plastic spatula with one hand and with the other hand, shake the pan vigorously and incessantly until the eggs start setting and partially solidifying.
- At this point take the pan off the heat and add the sauteéd mushrooms to one side of the eggs on the pan.
- Fold the eggs over the mushrooms enclosing them.
- Turn the pan over a plate to roll out the omelette.
- Finish with Verde, more salt, pepper and butter
Join the conversation