- Warm the egg whites by putting them in a small bowl and placing that bowl on top of a larger container of warm water.
- Whip the egg whites at high speed in an electric mixer with the whip attachment.
- Once the egg whites become foamy, reduce the speed of the mixer slightly and start adding the white sugar in a slow steady stream.
- Once all the sugar is incorporated, put the mixer back up to high speed and mix the egg whites until they are glossy and holding a soft peak.
- Once the egg whites are ready, fold in the icing sugar gently with a spatula.
- You can colour the meringue with food colouring at this point. To do this, just squeeze a bit of colour into the meringue and fold through gently with a spatula. You can also add flavour (in the form of an extract like vanilla or lemon) in the same way.
- Pipe your meringue in the desired shapes and bake at 200 F for 1 hour until they are dry and crispy.
- Store meringues in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Join the conversation