We’ll all scream for ice cream this summer after trying this delectable recipe!
Julie Miguel shared her recipe for Pina Colada-inspired ice cream you can make at home without an ice cream maker! With a splash of rum and canned pineapple, this treat will transport you to the tropics. Try making Julie’s recipe for churro rounds or waffles to sandwich your ice cream between for the ultimate sweet summer treat!
For the Ice Cream
- Place a large 9 x 5-inch loaf pan in your freezer.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, coconut extract, coconut rum, pineapple and juice, and pinch of salt. Whisk the mixture until it is thoroughly blended.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer and a large bowl, beat the chilled heavy cream until it forms whipped cream with stiff peaks.
- Using a spatula, spoon out the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture and fold in the whipped cream using the spatula until no streaks remain.
- Remove the loaf pan from the freezer. Using a spatula, pour your ice cream mixture into the chilled loaf pan and smooth the top with the spatula. Cover with a layer of wax paper and then foil paper and return the pan to the freezer making sure it is on a shelf that is level.
- Freeze for about 5 hours or until very firm.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer, scoop into bowls and garnish with toppings, if using. Serve and enjoy!
For the Churro Rounds
Servings: Makes about 10 3 inch churro rounds for 5 ice cream sandwiches
Ready in: 35 minutes
- Add water, butter, sugar and salt to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until mixture comes together and is mostly smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and the egg to the flour mixture and blend immediately with an electric mixer. You don’t want the egg to cook in the hot mixture! Blend until the mixture comes together and is smooth. Don’t get discouraged if it separates at first as it will come together.
- To make into churro rounds: Transfer the churro batter to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle no larger than ½ inch, and pipe spiraled circles of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Start piping from the centre, and swirl the nozzle round and round, avoiding any gaps, until your churro round is about 3 inches wide. Chill for 45 mins on a levelled shelf in your refrigerator, or up to 2 hrs, until the batter feels firm to the touch.
- Heat about 3-4 inches of canola oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat, to 350-360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For the coating combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Prepare a large tray lined with paper towel.
- Remove the churros from the refrigerator and drop 2 or 3 churro rounds directly into the preheated oil. Fry until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on the paper towel-lined tray. Let cool briefly and then toss the churro rounds in the cinnamon sugar.
- Continue cooking the rest of the churro rounds in batches. Once you’ve cooked all the churro rounds and they have all been tossed with the cinnamon sugar, scoop a ball of your favourite ice cream into the centre of one round and then top with a second churro round and lightly press.
- You can roll the ice cream sandwiches in toppings of your choice like sprinkles, nuts or shredded coconut, if desired. Enjoy!
For the Waffles
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with a light dusting of icing sugar. Scoop your favourite ice cream into the centre and put another waffle on top and press lightly. You can cut the ice cream sandwiches if they are very large like you would a sandwich. Roll in toppings, if desired. Enjoy!
Join the conversation