Brown Butter Sweet Potato Mash
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large dutch oven or heavy-bottom pot, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, sear lamb shanks on all sides. Add red wine and water; scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen brown bits. Add onions, onion brine, celery, carrots, tomato paste, date syrup, rosemary, garlic, pepper and salt. Place lid on.
- Transfer to oven and bake (checking half way through to ensure at least 1 inch of liquid remains) until lamb is fork tender, about 3 hours. Transfer lamb to plate and discard rosemary sprigs.
- Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup of cooking liquid until completely smooth. Stir back into cooking pot. Bring to simmer and continue to cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large pot, cover sweet potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes. Strain and return to pot.
- In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown in colour and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes; pour over sweet potatoes. Add salt. Whisk or mash until smooth.
- Serve lamb on sweet potatoes with sauce drizzled overtop.
Don't like lamb?
use beef instead
Join the conversation