- Clean the mussels by running them under cold water and removing the beards. Discard any mussels that are open, do not close when you tap on the shells or any mussels with broken shells.
- Preheat Oven to 375-400+ degrees
- In a large cast-iron, toast the fennel seeds for 1-2 mins, remove and set aside.
- Add the Canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté the shallots until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crumble the sausage meat into the pot. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally for another 4-5 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes and wine and Tabasco Chipotle sauce and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the mussels and fennel seeds & cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the mussels have opened. Remember to discard any mussels that do not open after cooking.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the parsley.
- Serve with plenty of crusty grilled bread for sopping up the flavourful sauce.
Join the conversation