Are you tired of the same old weeknight meals? This recipe for crispy chicken and goat cheese saltimbocca is the only thing you need to bring some gourmet goodness into your life!
The word “saltimbocca” actually means to jump into the mouth with flavour—so buckle up as Chef Jason Parsons shows us how to make this elegant and easy Italian-inspired dish that is sure to be a hit in any household. Plus, if you’re looking for the perfect side to pair with your chicken, check out Jason’s recipe for cranberry, pear and spinach salad with pistachio dressing.
- 2 chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 4 tbsp soft goat cheese
- 8 sage leaves
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Place the chicken breast flat on the cutting board and using a sharp knife slice cut the breast into two thin slices. Repeat with the other chicken breast and then place all four pieces flat on the counter between two pieces of cling film.
- Gently use a food mallet or anything heavy and flat to pound the chicken into four very thin pieces. Once done remove the top layer of cling film.
- Spread the goat cheese very thinly over two of the flat pieces of chicken.
- Place 4 sage leaves on top of each slice coated with goat cheese.
- Follow with a slice of prosciutto on each, lastly place the other two pieces of flattened chicken on top of the prosciutto.
- You should have two thin chickens filled with goat cheese, sage and prosciutto. Place it in the fridge to chill while you prepare your breading station.
- Prepare one shallow container with the flour, one with the eggs and milk mixed, and one with the breadcrumbs (panko).
- Gently place each stuffed chicken into the flour, remove dust off, and then place into the egg mix.
- Remove and shake off excess egg and put it into the breadcrumbs. Once fully coated, remove and place on a plate ready to be seared.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large fry pan over medium to high heat.
- Gently place the breaded chicken into the hot oil and sear until golden, then turn over in the pan and continue until both sides are golden brown. Remove from pan. The chicken should be cooked through but if it still feels soft to the touch, finish cooking in a 400 degree preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve topped with salad.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation