The best way to cook during the summer is to fire up the grill outside! Enjoy a light dinner or lunch with this Mexican inspired salad. The fast-cooking shrimp, seasonal corn and bright veggies keep this salad healthy and packed with flavour!
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a shallow bowl. Add shrimp and gently stir. Cover and pop in the fridge for about an hour.
- Place wooden skewers in a shallow dish, covered in water. Allow them to soak for at least 20 to 30 minutes before putting them on the barbecue.
- Fire up your grill and get it good and hot! Husk the corn and put it on a lightly oiled grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. They’ll just begin to char. Remove from heat and allow them to cool a bit before running a knife down the corn to slice off the kernels.
- Put corn, beans, chopped peppers and cilantro in a bowl. Mix together. Gently fold in your avocado dice — easy does it, you’re not making guacamole here!
- Whisk together oil, lime juice, salt, cumin and pepper. Taste and adjust to your family’s taste. Pour over the bean mixture — you may not need it all — and toss.
- Take your shrimp out f the fridge and put about three on each skewer. Go through the tail and again through the top so they can be flat on the grill. Put them on the barbecue for about six minutes. They’ll turn bright coral pink. Use tongs to take them off the heat. Allow them to cool slightly before sliding them off the skewers.
- On a serving plate, arrange the chopped lettuce and pile the beans on top. Arrange your grilled shrimp on top. You could sprinkle just a bit more dressing over top if you wanted
Join the conversation