How often do you stop and pick up a fancy coffee before you head to work? That coffee probably costed you just as much as this fancy dinner-for-two will. Chef Kareema Beckles shows how you can make a drool-worthy crispy Korean beef dish.
Garlic Fried Rice
1. Mix the beef strips with the Korean BBQ Sauce.
2. Put half the beef into a bowl of cornstarch and toss around till evenly coated. Do the same to the remaining half of the beef, then leave the beef to sit for 5 minutes.
3. In the meantime, you can steam or boil your broccoli for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Fill your wok or saucepan with vegetable oil until it reaches 1/3 of capacity. Wait until your oil is hot; you can sprinkle a little bit of cornstarch inside the oil to see if it’s hot. If the oil starts sizzling, then it’s ready.
5. Take a couple of beef strips, put them in the oil, cook for 2-3 minutes, and repeat until all the beef has been fried. Drain the beef in a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
6. Add the crispy beef into the sauce and mix until evenly coated. Once mixed, add in broccoli to the mixture though you can serve the broccoli as a side. Don’t forget to sprinkle your green onions on top!
7. Combine rice and salt, then mix well.
8. Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil.
9. When the oil is hot enough, put in the garlic and cook until the colour turns brown and the texture is crispy
10. Add half of the rice. Mix the rice well with the garlic while frying. (this is applicable for large rice quantities. If you are frying less than 4 cups of rice, then you can put all the rice at once, assuming that your pan is large enough to handle the volume)
11. Add the remaining half, then cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is done.
12. Remove from the pan and place on a serving plate. Garnish with green onions on top.
Join the conversation