Irish potato pancake
- First rub and fully coat the beef with the flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and bring to a bubble. Add the meat and start to brown the beef on all sides until golden and crispy all over. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the same pan. Then add the onions, carrots, thyme and bay leaves and cook until the onion and carrots has softened.
- Pour in the stout in and stir scraping the bottom of the pot to deglaze and remove all of the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef and beef stock and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for at least 3-4 hours or until the meat is fall apart tender. The beef is now ready to serve, keep the sauce for an amazing dip or extra flavour for your boxty!
- In a large mixing bowl add the grated potatoes with flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and whole milk and mix into the potatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the Canola Oil and heat.
- Working in batches add a small amount of potato mixture, forming patties about 2 inches in width. Fry on both sides until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- On a clean plate layout the potato pancake boxty and carefully with a spoon ladle in the braised stout beef onto one side and fold over to close.
- Garnish with some chopped chives and eat!
*** optional grate Irish cheddar cheese over top ***
Join the conversation