Cōng yóu bǐng, also known as the scallion or ‘green onion’ pancake, is a savoury Chinese dish of unleavened flatbread folded with oil and minced scallions. This treat is one of the many famous and traditional Chinese street foods. Try your hand at this dish from the comfort of your own home — and enjoy!
Making the vinaigrettes:
For both vinaigrettes, combine all the ingredients in a small container, whisk thoroughly until fully mixed, leave to the side prior to serving.
- In a container of water, if using a sous vide, set device at 150F or 65.6C and allow to circulate for 45-60 minutes. Egg can remain in tempered water with device until serving. If poaching, bring small pot of water to a boil and bring down to a medium once boiling.
- Add vinegar to the water and with a spoon, stir clockwise to create a ‘funnel’ of water.
- Crack egg in a small bowl and slowly drop raw egg into circulating water. Allow to cook in water for approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove egg with a slotted spoon and place gently on a paper towel and allow to drain.
- In a hot frying pan, add oil and allow to bring to a high heat. Once desired temperature is reached, add FROZEN scallion pancake to the pan. Bring heat down to medium high and allow to cook until down side is golden brown.
- Flip pancake and repeat. Add more neutral oil if required.
- Remove pancake and cut into even pieces (4/6) like a pizza and place on large plate.
- Cover surface of the pancake with shaved mortadella, nestle egg in centre. Build a wreath around the outside of the mortadella. With a peeler, shave cheese liberally a top of the mortadella.
- Drizzle both vinaigrettes and then add/top with garnish of chives.
Join the conversation