- Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until translucent and lazy. Add kale and mushroom stems, season lightly with salt, and stir to combine. Cook until browned (around 5-7 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and stir through the soy sauce, honey or maple syrup, chili flakes and season to taste with salt. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat an egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry dough and lay on a lightly floured surface. Using a 4” cutter or a bowl with a sharp knife, cut out circles of pastry. You should be able to get 4 circles out of each sheet of pastry dough.
- Add 2 rounded tablespoons of cooled filling to the center of a circle of dough. Brush a bit of the egg wash around the edge of the pastry circle.
- Fold the circle of dough over your filling to create a half-moon shape. To get the true look of a pasty, you’ll want to crimp the edges by pushing down one edge of the dough with your left thumb and then twisting the next section over top of the part you flattened with your right hand. Continue pushing and twisting all the way around the unsealed edges. Tuck the final bit of dough underneath and set on baking sheet. Repeat the process until you have 16 filled hand pies.
- Brush each of the pies with the lemony egg wash and bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops of the pies are lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Join the conversation