- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, apple and onion. Cook stirring often until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water and remaining ingredients except brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, until lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, then remove from stove and cool.
- In batches, pour cooled soup into a blender. Try not to fill more than halfway. Hold down the lid of the blender with a kitchen towel and begin to pulse carefully, then puree.
- Return soup to the pot and reheat before serving.
Join the conversation