- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce divided
- 6 tbsp light soy sauce divided
- 2 tbsp freshly ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic finely grated
- 2 tsp star anise powder
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 16 skin-on boneless chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 diced onion
- 1 sweet red pepper seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (hot chili sauce)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) hoisin sauce, 4 Tbsp (60 mL) soy sauce, Szechuan pepper, ginger, garlic, star anise powder, sugar and chili powder in a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken and give it a good massage through the bag. Place in the fridge to marinate for 6 to 8 hours.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the red pepper and continue to cook until tender.
- Add the remaining hoisin and soy sauces, vinegar and sambal oelek. Simmer until reduced by half, then set aside.
- Fire up your charcoal or preheat your gas grill. You need a medium-high grilling temp of around 350°F (180°C). Prep the grill for cooking over direct heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 20 to 22 minutes, turning and brushing with some of the sauce, until well glazed and cooked through. Brush with additional sauce and serve.
Join the conversation