- 5 lbs chicken
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper
- 1 green onion
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lime or lemon or 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 small chopped shallot
- In a bowl wash the chicken with lime, salt, vinegar, and water.
- Season and let marinate overnight or at a minimum of 1 hour.
- Heat a large pot on medium fire, add oil and sugar, let it burn until golden brown.
- Add the seasoned chicken, allow the browning to coat the chicken evenly. Add ½ of the broth/water.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, salt and peppers, and fresh herbs.
- Cook until the chicken is tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Plate chicken with callaloo
Join the conversation