Chef Devan Rajkumar shows us how to make a tasty vegetarian mac and cheese that incorporates butternut squash!
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl add butternut squash, olive oil, rosemary sprigs, salt, pepper and
toss well. Add to a baking tray lined with parchment and bake for 20 minutes then
remove and rest. Additionally, grease a large baking dish and set aside.
3. In a large pot add pasta to boiling salted water and cook according to package
instructions. Drain and set aside.
4. Bring milk to a simmer in a pot. In a separate pot on low-medium heat add butter and
once melted, add flour and stir frequently for several minutes to eliminate raw taste of
flour. When it begins to smell aromatic like pie crust, add 2 cups of hot milk to the roux
5. Increase to medium heat and continue whisking. Once thickened, remove from heat
and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
6. Reserve mozzarella and fold in cheddar, Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, Garlic, Dijon,
and hot sauce. Use an immersion blender to blend sauce for best consistency.
7. Fold the pasta and butternut squash gently into the cheese sauce.
8. Spoon into greased baking dish, add an even layer of panko breadcrumbs and bake
for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
9. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Join the conversation