Tip: boil them the night before, pan fry in the morning and put in the thermos
Prepare the filling:
- Heat frying pan to medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Let the oil heat for 1 minute then add the chicken, garlic, mushrooms, and bok choy.
- Add the soy sauce and a pinch of salt and sauté until the mushrooms are cooked through and the chicken is heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the chicken mixture using a sieve and set aside to cool.
Set up your wonton dumpling making station:
- Put your wonton wrappers on a plate, next to that put your bowl with the filling, and a small bowl of water.
- Use a spoon to handle the filling.
Assemble your wonton dumplings:
- Take one wonton wrapper and put about 1 tsp of the mixture in the centre of the wrapper.
- Using your finger, dip the tip of your index finger into the water and lightly wet the edges of the wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper in half, lengthwise, and press the edges to seal.
- Fold the wrapper in half again, lengthwise, and wrap it so that the opening is on the outside and the ends of the wrapper come together.
- Use a little dab of water and press the ends together firmly over each other so that they stick together and maintains a circular shape.
Cook your wonton dumplings:
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Working in batches, boil about 6 dumplings at a time for about 5 minutes or until the wonton wrapper looks cooked through.
- Once cooked, use a slotted spoon and put the dumplings into a colander and keep warm.
- Repeat until all of the dumplings are cooked.
Pan fry your dumplings:
- Heat a pan to medium high heat with about 1 Tbsp of oil in it.
- Working in batches again, add 6 dumplings to your pan and pan fry until some of the edges are golden brown, about 2 minutes (you won’t always get even browning).
- Move the pan friend dumplings to a heat safe dish and keep warm.
- Repeat until all of the dumplings have been pan fried.
Garnish with green onions and serve with soy sauce for dipping and a side of fresh cut vegetables.
20 wanton wrappers
Join the conversation