- In a small bowl, combine pork, salt & pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, thoroughly rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear. Drain, then add 5 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add pork and reduce heat to medium. Cover partially and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Consistency is a personal preference: if you prefer the congee to be thinner, add more water to loosen it.
- Cut duck egg into small cubes ( be careful to not separate the yolk from the outer layer) and add to the congee. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30minutes, until rice is fully broken and there is no separation between rice and water.
- Ladle congee into individual bowls or a large serving bowl and garnish with ginger and spring onions. Season with white pepper.
Join the conversation