- 60 ml (¼ cup) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) Red Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Large Carrot Finely Diced
- 1 1/2 Celery Stalks Finely Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 648 ml (1 jar) Tomato Basil Sauce
- 6-7 cups Water or Chicken Broth
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) Canned Chickpeas Drained and Rinsed
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 60 ml (1/3 cup) Pastina
- Freshly Graded Parmesean Cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook for 1 minute; then add the carrot and celery and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté one more minute.
- Add the sauce and 6 cups of liquid. Stir well. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes adding more water or broth if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chickpeas and pasta. Cook pasta according to the instructions on the pasta package.
- Remove from heat and let rest a few minutes before serving. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.
Join the conversation