Hate throwing away your food scraps? Prevent tossing your veggie stems into the green bin, and transform them into this delicious salad.
Chef Devan Rajkumar shares his recipe for a salad made with carrot tops, mango, red pepper, cabbage, herb stems, homemade pickled broccoli stems, celery leaves, and a creamy cumin yogurt dressing that will have you asking for more with every bite.
- 3 heads romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 mango with peel cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper de-seeded and julienned
- 1 cup purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup herb stems roughly chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 whole scallions including stems thinly sliced
- 3 tsp grapeseed oil
Pickled Broccoli Stems and Celery Leaves
Creamy Cumin Yogurt Dressing
- In a small pot over medium heat add water, apple cider vinegar, honey, smashed garlic clove, salt, black peppercorns and mustard seeds. Once liquid comes to a simmer, stir and remove from the heat. Allow liquid to cool down slightly before adding broccoli stems and celery leaves. Pickle vegetables for 30 minutes to one hour then remove from liquid. Reserve liquid for future pickling.
- In another mixing bowl add Greek yogurt, ground cumin seed, cilantro, mint, chaat masala, lemon juice, lemon zest, extra virgin olive oil, honey, salt, mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl add romaine, mango, red pepper, cabbage, herb stems, pickled broccoli and pickled celery leaves. Add 2 tbsp yogurt dressing and toss.
- Plate salad in desired bowl and top with additional dressing and scallions.
Join the conversation