1 hr 30 min
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F degrees.
- Trim the top of the stems. Do not cut down into the beet, leaving it whole.
- Scrub the beet but do not peel. Drizzle with canola oil and wrap each beet in foil and seal.
- Roast for about an hour and a half. The time will vary depending on the size of your beets. You want each one to be easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- Remove from the oven when the beets are roasted through. Unwrap them and let them cool enough to handle.
- Wearing plastic gloves, peel the cooled beets. The skins should just slip off. You are now holding a cooked beet that has almost caramelized. The flavour is intense, but quite sweet. Cut into thin slice.
- On a serving platter or plates, lay interchanging slices of beets and cheese. Place cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, drizzle agave nectar, garnish with fresh basil and salt and pepper.
Join the conversation