Are you stuck eating the same old salad every day for lunch? Get ready to ditch your basic dish, because home cook Julie Miguel has you covered with the inside scoop on how to build a restaurant-worthy salad.
That’s right, you don’t need to settle for boring salads—this recipe for a chopped salad with chicken, almonds, crispy chow mein noodles and Thai peanut dressing is the perfect mixture of fresh greens and tempting flavours to keep you wanting more.
- 2 cups chicken (or soy-based chicken)
- 1/2 cup carrots julienned
- 1/2 cup celery sliced thin
- 2 cups bok choy chopped
- 4 cups green and purple cabbage chopped
- 3 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Chow mein noodles broken into small pieces
Thai peanut dressing
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or alternative nut butter)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the dressing is too thick, you can add water to thin it out (try 1 teaspoon at a time, whisking after each).
- In a large bowl add chicken, carrots, celery, bok choy, cabbages, romaine lettuce.
- Toss the almonds and chow mein noodles in a saute pan with olive oil until golden and toasted and fragrant. Add the toasted almonds and chow mein noodles mixture to the salad mixture.
- Toss with Thai peanut dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Join the conversation
What do you think?
Hide the conversation