Tracy’s clothing provided by Freda's
Tracy’s shoes provided by Town Shoes
Today's episode clips:
Tame Your Temptations
1. We all get tempted to spend now and again. It feels like the cards are stacked against us.
• Society values consumption. We are on this planet to spend.
• Marketers are better than ever at tapping into our brains/weaknesses.
• Banks are more than willing to extend us the credit.
• Brains love the dopamine shot that comes with getting what we want.
2. Where do you start in taming your temptations?
• To “tame”, you need to “name”. Your temptations are different from mine. So what I need to do is different from you.
• Same as with food: I could be surrounded by bags of chips and I wouldn’t be tempted. But we made cookie pizza on Sunday. I could eat the entire thing.
• Name yours: Kids clothing? Shoes? Travel? Jewelry? Renovations?
• Mine is sales on clothing. I am not a great shopper, so I can sucked in by the price, but don’t love the thing. (Snowboarder jacket – 10 years).
• I end up buying things that are a great price, but that I didn’t love
3. You’ve named it. Then what?
• Figure out which ones actually matter. How much does it cost? If your temptation is timeshare condos, that’s a bigger issue than if is stationary supplies (which I love, by the way. Uniball pens, paper clips).
• We have fixed level of willpower. Use it on what really matters.
• The “Latte Factor” is a red herring for most people. What are the temptations you want to tame?
4. You recommend you “write the story of succumbing”.
• If you want to interrupt the pattern, you need to understand the pattern. So write it down. Bullet form. Where are you? What happens?
• I got a flyer about a sale on custom shirts. Great price. But can’t try them on first and high risk they won’t fit. Better for me to spend $80 for a shirt that first than $50 for one that doesn’t really fit.
• Understand triggers: I eat treats when I’m annoyed. Some people shop. Awareness of the triggers is key.
5. What do you do about it?
• Remove temptation: Read this great book called “The Year of Less” by Cait Flanders. She committed to a shopping ban for a year.
o No stores: The big change was not going into stores. If she didn’t go she didn’t buy.
o Unsubscribe to promotional emails.
• Add something else instead: Remove the crackers from cupboard, add cucumber. Remove the trip to mall. Add a trip to the community pool.
• Build in limits: Go cash only when clubbing. Or Christmas shopping.
• Take a time out: Use the 24-hour rule. Free and immediate delivery is a problem. Instead, when you see it. Put it on hold. Bookmark it. Don’t buy it right way.
• Keep a list: Write down what you want. Pacify your brain. Not the same as having it, but at least the idea is captured.
What is temptation bundling?
• Bundle your temptation with something you’re procrastinating on. Research out of Wharton Business School. The researcher only listened to her favorite podcast while exercising.
• If your temptation is food court lunch, pack your lunch while listening to a favourite podcast.
Fear of Breaking Up
• Research found that people who fear being single tend to settle for less in their relationships (Source: University of Toronto, 2013)
• Research from University of California (2016) found those that embrace being single experience more psychological growth than married people
• Research says 85% of dating ends in breakups (only 2 endings – marriage or break-up)!!
WHY Do People Stay Stuck In Their Relationship?
• Its familiar and breaking up in uncertain
• Afraid to be alone (“need” versus “want” a partner)
• Strong social groups together
• Don’t want to date anyone else (“He’s the best option at the moment”)
• Financially its better (ex. living together is more economical)
• Some see it as a status (“I have a boyfriend”)
(1) Do A Relationship Audit
• Stop and really think about what you want! What are the Top #10 qualities you are looking for in a partner
(2) Ask Your Trusted Advisors / Friends / Family To Identify Blind-Spots
• Relationships are tricky and we all have blind-spots! Ask 2-3 of your close friends (who you think give great advice!!!) – their honest opinion about your relationship. Strengths + weaknesses. Do NOT make your decision on what they say – just listen to hear their input.
(3) Aim For “Happy” With Yourself First!
• Relationships will not make us happy – happiness is the job of each person!
• Aim to be happy with yourself FIRST! The best relationships are when 2 happy/fulfilled people come together (not 2 half people)
• Focus on developing you (building friendships; starting a new hobby, exercising, eating well, taking a course) – this will help you feel better, more confident adding more energy to the relationship AND greater perspective about what to do regarding your relationship!
Hottest Toys on the Market
Rock Pets Butterfly - $16.99
• ALEX Craft Rock Pets Butterfly lets you paint and personalize your own stone butterfly. Transform a pretend rock into a work of art in no time.
• Weatherproof paints allow your masterpiece to be displayed anywhere indoors and outdoors.
• Choose your favorite color combinations or make a gift for a friend or relative. Rock Pets totally rock!
• Includes one butterfly rock pet, six weatherproof paints, and a brush.
• It's time to morph into a screecher! Transform the way you race with the only vehicles that drive, FLIP, and morph into beast mode!
• Each vehicle includes two collectible discs to activate its epic flip-morphing action.
• There are Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 collections of vehicles.
• MSRP: CAD $8.99 for Level 1, CAD $11.99 for Level 2, CAD $16.99 for Level 3
• Available: Spring 2018, Walmart Canada and Toys R U
Silly Squeaks - $11.99
• Silly Squeaks are musical pets, each with five interactive songs and 16 surprise silly sounds!
• Press their backs to play music or press their faces to hear them speak! Kids will fall in love with their entertaining personalities and their soft, squishy feel!
• There are eight to collect, each with its own musical genre and unique personality.
• They have touch points (face for silly sounds, back for silly songs) and two play modes: Play along with a pre-programmed songs (Play Mode A), or play your own song using the full musical scale (each Silly has its own note - Play Mode B).
• Play Mode A: Each character is programmed with five songs and kids are able to play their own beat on top of the songs. Press the back to hear song number one. Continue pressing the back to play your own beat along with the music. If kids want to change the song, press the face to hear a silly sound, then press the back again to hear song number two. Continue pressing the back to play along with the music.
• Play Mode B: Each character is programmed with its own note on a musical scale. If kids collect all eight characters, they'll be able to play their own songs using each one of them (like playing a piano). Press their backs to hear the individual notes.
• Available: at Mastermind in April, at Walmart in May
Don't Step in it Game - $24.99
• This hilarious game will create instant laughter as family and friends do their best to avoid stepping in - you guessed it - POOP compound!
• Players place mounds of brown compound on the game mat, then take turns spinning the spinner to find out how many steps to take across the mat while blindfolded.
The player to make it to the end of the mat while stepping in the fewest poops, wins! It’s the ultimate potty-themed challenge!
• Available: Now, at most major retailers nationwide and HasbroToyShop.com.
Colour Wonder Scented Stampers & Markers (Crayola) - $12.99
• Crayola Color Wonder Mess-Free Scented Stampers offer mess-free stamping and coloring accompanied with deliciously scented inks!
• Color Wonder stamper ink and markers only color on compatible Color Wonder paper and won’t show up on clothes, walls or furniture.
• The kit includes twelve pages of blank Color Wonder paper, five mess-free scented markers (cherry, blueberry, orange, lime and banana), one scented inkpad (chocolate) and five interchangeable stamps.
• Included markers and stampers only appear on Color Wonder special paper and won't color on skin, fabric, or furniture.
• Ideal for on-the-go fun: Color Wonder’s Mess-Free qualities make it ideal for travel without worry of a mess.
• Available: Walmart, Toys R Us, Staples, Mastermind, Jean Coutu, Home Hardware
Frog Life Cycle - $90.00
• Teaching kids about science is fun and engaging with the Folkmanis Frog Life Cycle.
• Marvel at the extraordinary design of this three-stage toy. In the first stage, the lenticular printed egg comes alive with motion. Next, utilize the zippers to tuck and reveal the tadpole stage into the frog stage as you animate the mouth to tell the story of metamorphosis.
• This piece of art showcases how Folkmanis transforms learning.
• Available: Spring 2018 at firetheimagination.ca/
Barbie Dreamtopia Kiss & Care Unicorn Doctor Set (Just Play) - $39.99
• Even unicorns need checkups, and with the new Barbie Dreamtopia Kiss and Care Unicorn Doctor Set, kids can pretend to care for their favorite enchanted creature! This dream-tastic set comes with a soft plush unicorn featuring a magical light-up horn, as well as everything kids need to take care of their sweet fairy-tale friend.
• The set includes a stethoscope to check the unicorn's heartbeat and a yummy ice cream snack to reward her for being such a good patient.
• The adorable rainbow backpack is perfect for taking all of the caring tools on the go!
• Full set includes: a soft unicorn plush, rainbow backpack, stethoscope, bottle, syringe, horn cast and one yummy treat.
• Available: Walmart
Orb Molecules - $19.99
• Create anything you can imagine with the unlimited connection points of atoms, neutrons, and electrons with ORBMolecules. Each set includes thousands of ORBMolecules in multiple sizes and colors that you can bond together to make magnificent creations! They hold their shape until you chose to deconstruct and start all over again.
• ORBMolecules are completely reusable and never dry out!
• ORBMolecules only sticks to itself, so clean up is a breeze.
• Over 10,000 pieces in each kit.
Razor Turbo Jetts - $159.99
• Hit new heights of fun with the all-new Razor Turbo Jetts electric motorized heel wheels! Simply start rolling and these electric-powered heel wheels amp up the action with an 80-watt, geared-drive motor to provide a one-of-a-kind boost to any pair of sneakers.
• Remoteless, the Turbo Jetts use an integrated, pressure-sensitive, power control system to help you ride comfortably at speeds up to 10 mph for up to 30 minutes of continuous use.
• Simply step into the heavy-duty polymer “quick-click” frame and tighten the hook-and-loop strap for a secure fit for sneakers U.S. size youth 12 to adult 12 (European youth 42 through adult 45).
• Max rider weight is 176 lbs.
• Available: Early 2018
Cool Maker Tidy Dye Station (Spin Master) - $29.99
• Tie dye in a whole new way with the Tidy Dye Station! The Tidy Dye Station makes it so easy to tie dye.
• Wet and roll fabric and wrap with color pod string to create a totally unique and brightly colored pattern. The color is in the string, keeping dye off your hands!
• Each color pod contains 65 ft./20m. of Tidy Dye string.
• Design a tote bag, headband (both included) and another project of your choice without any mess!
• Availability: Spring 2018
Glove-A-Bubbles (Zing) - $3.99
• Churn out oodles and oodles of BUBBLES with just the wave of your hand with Glove-A-Bubbles! Get ready to wave and play!
• Kids simply remove the bubble pouch from the glove and pour one of the two bubble solutions into the pouch. Dip the glove into the bubble pouch. Wave your glove back and forth and watch tons of delightful bubbles form instantly, right before your eyes. Never ending bubbles for never ending fun!
• Glove-A-Bubbles come with one glove and two packs of bubble solution. The pouch is also re-sealable and refillable.
• Glove-A-Bubbles come in eight different animal-themed gloves, including lion, alligator, hippopotamus, elephant, dinosaur, panda, bunny, and monkey. There’s a Glove-A-Bubble for everyone!
• Available: Walmart Canada, Amazon, Mastermind Toys, Indigo
Pirate's Cove Climber & Slide - $159.99
• Ahoy Mateys! Come aboard this playful pirate ship for an adventure that’s bound to last all day!
• Climb aboard using the “cargo net” or the ladder on the side of the ship!
• Once on at the helm, turn the Captain’s wheel and set the course for fun!
• Slide down the plank for a speedy way off the ship!
• Climb below decks and stow-away in a cozy cove.
• Built-in nautical detailing helps transport little imaginations to their favorite high-seas locales
• Available: Walmart
Power wheels Jurassic World Dino Racer (Mattel) - $439.99
• Kids can recreate the exiting off-road action of the film on this ride-on Raptor inspired by Blue that includes realistic features like an open mouth filled with sharp-looking teeth.
• Drives on hard surfaces, grass, and rough terrain at max. speed of 6 mph, with a parent-controlled, high-speed lock out for beginner drivers.
• Includes 12-volt battery and charger.
• Available: June 2018
Rollplay 12V Up-Rider
• The Rollplay 12 Volt Up-Rider unique design combines the stability and control of traditional scooter handlebars with an innovative wheel configuration - the four wheels provide smooth steering and balance, while you create a pivot of 360 degrees for easy turns!
• Provides fun dynamic speed and braking for better control and 12 volt motor drive for reliable use. The revolution of ride-on toys is here!
• Has a max speed of 4 mph.
• Maximum weight up to 150 lbs.
• Canadian MSRP:
• Available: Now
Join the conversation