- Place the cups of butter in a pot and place over low heat to allow the butter to separate. Using a ladle, gentle skim the milk solids which will be floating on the top of the pure butter. Repeat until all the milk solids are gone.
- Pour the ½ cup of vinegar, white wine, thyme and peppercorns into a pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced by 2/3. Strain and set aside.
- Now put a pot of water on to poach the eggs. Add a splash of vinegar, a pinch of salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- In a frying pan melt the 2 tbsps of butter and grapeseed oil over medium to high heat. Dry the grated potato in a towel, season with salt, pepper and place in the fry pan to form a flat pancake shape. Fry until golden on one side and then turn and until golden on the other side. When the potato rosti is cooked through leave to cool on a cutting board and then cut into muffin size rounds.
- Next mix the reduced vinegar, lemon juice, egg yolks in a bowl and place over the boiling water. Continuously whish over the steam of the boiling water until the egg mix thickens and you can form a figure 8 and it holds to the count of 8. Then slowly add the pure butter a little bit at a time.
- When the hollandaise in done gentle crack eggs from the shell into the boiling water. At the same time heat the grill bacon and potato rosti in the oven. When the egg is soft poached, gently remove and dry on a paper towel. Stack the bacon on the potato rosti,, next the poached egg and top with the hollandaise.
- Serve immediately.
Join the conversation